Our Group was founded in 1925 by William C Davis, meeting in a disused stable block at Hartinton House. The Troop consisted of six boys from Reigate Grammar School. By the early thirties, the we had rapidly expanded to nearly 50 boys including a Cub Pack.
In the mid thirties, we moved from a series of temporary homes to a new (second hand) hut erected behind the old police station (now Upper West Street car park).
In 1951, we moved again, this time into our present HQ, then the “Reigate Youth’s Institute” and renamed it to Somers Hall.
During the 1960s and 70s, numbers swelled up to over 150 youth members.
At the start of a new centenary of Scouting, numbers have dramatically increased thanks to positive changes including the introduction of girls into the Group, the addition of a Beaver Scout Colony and the creation of the Explorer Scout section.
Now, over 300 young people take part in weekly activities and adventure designed to create skills for life.
We’re talking about teamwork, leadership and resilience – skills that have helped Scouts become everything from teachers and social workers to engineers, lawyers and politicians. We help young people develop and improve key life skills.
We believe in bringing people together. We celebrate diversity and stand against intolerance, always. We’re part of a worldwide movement, creating stronger communities and inspiring positive futures.